So, be sure to bring your friends, family and neighbors to VBS Day Camp at Hope UMC from Monday, June 26th – Thursday, June 29th. The theme is “ROOTED” and is based on Colossians 2:6-7. We are again partnering with the Ingham Okoboji Lutheran Bible Camp for a great time of Christ-centered activities, games, arts and crafts, songs, skits, and Bible-based lessons.
See the poster below for more details, but it’s not too late to come and get “ROOTED!” We Hope to see you there!
The season of Lent is here, which brings up the age old question, “What does that means for us?” First, the season of Lent begins with Ash Wednesday, and then is followed by the 40 days leading up to Easter – – not counting Sundays. This is symbolic to help us remember the 40 days that Jesus was tempted in the desert.
Many times people associate Lent with having to give up something (like desserts, coffee, etc.) for these 40 days to help focus on the ultimate sacrifice that Jesus made for us. But instead of giving up, you can also choose to focus on “getting up”: get up and grab your bible each day and commit to a devotional time; get up and go join a bible study, or get up and grab your walking shoes and commit to a healthier life style. Lent should NOT be all about our great sacrifice or our great positive change. Instead, Lent should be about putting our focus on the one who sacrificed it all for us.
At Hope UMC, the worship theme for Lent with be based on “The God We Can Know,” starting this Sunday, Feb. 22nd through Easter. There are also two small group Lenten studies that you are welcome to join: one is starting at the Poky Center this Sunday morning at 9:00 a.m., and the other is at the Plover Center beginning on Monday, also at 9:00 a.m.
Lenten Luncheons will also begin on February 25th. The Luncheons will begin at 12:00 noon and will be finished at 1:00 (for those who need to return to work). We will gather, share the mediation, then eat so that people can stay and fellowship at their leisure. The luncheons are a major source of funding for the Pocahontas County Ministerial Account for Benevolence. This is an ecumenical effort to BE the church in this county.
The luncheon schedule is:
- February 25 – Father Bormann @ St. Peter Lutheran
- March 4 – Pastor Joy Gonnerman @ Hope United Methodist
- March 11 – Pastor Jerry Miller @ Resurrection of Our Lord Catholic
- March 18 – Father Borman @ Hope United Methodist
- March 25 – Pastor Joy Gonnerman @ Resurrection of Our Lord Catholic
If you need a way to explain what Lent is to someone, share this Chuck Knows Church clip: 🙂
So, what’s in it for us? A personal Lord and Savior, who provides a wonderful example! It’s pretty hard to beat that! <><
We are very excited and happy to announce that Hope United Methodist Church is reviving King’s Kids, an amazing after school program for youth! Here are a few details about the program:
- King’s Kids will be held after school on Wednesdays at the Pocahontas Center of Hope United Methodist Church from 3:15 – 5:00 pm.
- All children from Pocahontas and surrounding communities that are in Prep Kdgn. – 6th grade are invited to attend.
- These are the dates you will need to circle on your calendar:
November 13, 20
December 11, 18(?)
January 8, 15
February 5, 19
March 4, 18
April 8, 22
- The kids will be meet at the west door of the elementary following dismissal from school and will be escorted to the church by an adult to ensure their safety when crossing the highway/streets.
- These are some of the activities that will be offered during
Snacks Games Music
Bible Lessons Crafts Sharing of Joys & Concerns
Prayer Time Service Projects ETC!
- If school is dismissed early due to nasty weather, King’s Kids will be canceled.
We are busy planning and can’t wait for our first session on Wednesday October 23! The King’s Kids team hopes your child/children will be able to join us for this fun, faith-filled opportunity to continue to learn about the love of God and His son, Jesus. Please complete the registration form and mail it back to the church or drop it off in the church office.
Please help us spread the news about King’s Kids by sharing this information with friends and family. Additional registration forms may be picked up at the church office (Tuesday-Friday, 1:00-5:00 pm.) or downloaded from our church website
(https://hopeumcia.org/). If you have any questions, please feel free to call the church office (712-335-3663) and visit with Margaret, our church secretary, or leave a message and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
HUMC Education Committee