Last week we were asked that very question: who are you following? It goes without saying that we all follow someone or something. The reality, however, is that there are many, many pulls in this world to get us off the path that Jesus wants us to be on… our jobs, our worries, our health, our families. And the list goes on. Now, don’t get me wrong – – these things are important not only to us, but also to our Father. It’s where we prioritize them (and Him!) on our list that’s the challenge. When Jesus invites us to “Come follow me,” do you politely nod your head in agreement, while your heart is not quite as sure?
So, who are you following? How does your daily life reflect that? If someone only knows you by observing you throughout the week, would they know that you are a follower of Christ? He is there for us, waiting for our head AND our heart to agree to follow him unconditionally. When we do, everything else falls into place! Sounds like a perfect path, don’t you agree? (and no GPS required!)
The newly formed Adult fellowship group is planning an outing in February. We would like to get a group together to attend the Sonshine Concert on Saturday, February 21 at 2:00 p.m. in Fort Dodge. There is no cost for this event. After the concert we will plan to go somewhere for coffee and dessert or a sandwich. More information to come but we need to get numbers of those interested. The concerts are highly attended and if we have 10 or more people they will reserve seats for us. Please contact Elaine Cook or Sue Gould or the church office (335-3663) if you are interested. Grab a friend and come join the fun!
Don’t forget to check the PHOTOS tab occasionally – – there are new pictures from December, including caroling and the Children’s Christmas Program at the Poky Center. If you have any photos to include, please send them to Cheryl or Elaine. Keep Smiling!! 🙂
The God We Can Know Worship and Study Series will be our Small Group Lenten study and worship themes starting Feb. 22. There will be a response insert in the church bulletin starting this Sunday, Jan. 11 for you to indicate your interest to participate. You may also indicate your interest by calling the church office at 712-335-3663.
You can learn more about this study and watch an introductory video at: http://www.thegodwecanknow.com/
We hope you will participate in one of these small groups! More information coming!
Meetings SCHEDULED for Jan 12th – 15th
- Trustees Mtg RESCHEDULED-for January 12th, 7:00 p.m. at Pocahontas
- Education Mtg – January 12th, 7:00 p.m. at Pocahontas
- Missions Team Mtg RESCHEDULED-for January 13th, 5:00 p.m. at Pocahontas
- Evangelism Mtg – January 13th, 5:00 p.m. at Pocahontas
- Worship Team Mtg RESCHEDULED-for January 13th, 7:00 p.m. at Pocahontas
- SPRC Mtg RESCHEDULED-for January 14th, 7:30 p.m. at Pocahontas
- Finance Mtg RESCHEDULED-for January 15th, 6:15 p.m. at Pocahontas
- Leadership Team Mtg RESCHEDULED-for January 15th, 7:00 p.m. at Pocahontas
In case you are wondering about weather cancellations for our church service or evening meetings, please remember that you can check a variety of resources. Those include:
- Our website: (hopeumcia.org) By signing up to automatically follow the blog, every time there is a new post (including weather cancellations) you will be notified via an email. This is a great way to know “what’s happening!”
- Our Facebook page: Hope UMC – Pocahontas, Havelock & Plover
- Email: Large group emails will be sent out
- Telephone: Phone tree calling may also be used
- KCCI: Channel 8 (CBS) TV in Des Moines
- KICD: 107.7 FM Radio in Spencer
So, as you can see, there is a multitude of ways to find out if some activity at church may have been cancelled due to inclement weather! So, stay tuned! 🙂
Worship at all three centers has been cancelled for today, Sunday, Jan. 4th due to the extremely dangerous cold weather and snowy streets and roads.
Please stay safe and warm today, and we look forward to seeing you next Sunday!
Blessings for the New Year from Hope United Methodist Church!