Baked Potato Bar – February 23rd for PETs!
The Mission Ministry Team is sponsoring a potato bar on Sunday, Feb. 23, following worship at the Pocahontas Center. There will be a freewill offering with proceeds going to support PET. What is PET?
PET – Personal Energy Transportation that provides God’s Gift of Mobility to all of God’s people in need. (click PET for more information)
Some PET facts:
• project began in 1995 for victims of polio and landmines in developing countries where the cost of wheelchairs are prohibitive and do not work on rough terrain
• built to be rugged with three wheels, hand-cranked and easily maintained
• PET uses sturdy and low-cost wheelbarrow wheels and solid rubber tires
• built at 23 sites around the US – one site is located in a garage at the Hawarden UMC
• since its beginning 44,000 PETS have been distributed in 100 countries
• Hawarden site builds 200 PETs each year
• cost to build and ship one PET is $250
• there is no cost to the recipients
• design has been expanded to include child-size PETs and pull PETs for those who have no use of their arm
John Wesley challenged us to, “Do all the good you can. By all the means you can. In all the ways you can. In all the places you can. At all the times you can. To all the people you can. As long as ever you can.”
Let’s see how many PETs we can purchase to give the gift of mobility to a person in need. Thanks!